Weekend highlights: Mama’s weekend away

Hi! Time to get back in the swing of things, huh? How was your weekend? Mine was splendid. I spent the weekend in DC celebrating a dear friend who is a mama-to-be and enjoying a little solo time. Of course, I’m glad to be back and was over the moon when I saw my crew again Sunday afternoon, but it was a much-needed relaxing, rejuvenating trip.

I was able to spend a little time with Vera after work on Friday before heading to the airport. Unfortunately, I dealt with significant travel delays and didn’t make it to my hotel in DC until 11 pm. Ugh! But I realized….I didn’t have to get up early on Saturday morning….because I didn’t have anything to do. What is this “nothing specific to do on a Saturday” feeling? It was alien and strange 🙂 Also, I got to make a significant dent in my latest book while waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) in the airport (which I later finished on the plane ride home).


Anyway, I did sleep in a little on Saturday and, after a mediocre hotel breakfast, headed off to Old Town Alexandria. I love the area so much. I walked for an hour and it felt liberating to wander (at a brisk pace, I’m not a good slow wanderer) with no specific destination and with no one to worry about except myself. I made it all the way down King Street to the River,


and then meandered awhile longer.

One of the reasons I love DC is for its storied history and monuments to events and people of historical significance. There are the obvious ones, of course – The White House, the Capitol (my favorite), the Lincoln Memorial, etc. But then there are ones you stumble upon just by being out and about, such as Robert E. Lee’s boyhood home, which I discovered for the first time Saturday.


I did have a destination, however, so the wandering had to come to an end. It was a Very Important appointment: the spa. #treatyoself


My spa day consisted of a 30-minute facial and a 90-minute deep tissue massage. Go big or go home, am I right? It was my first facial and I really didn’t know what to expect – honestly, I just thought it would be relaxing. It certainly was that, but also….my face looks amazing!! I can’t believe how fresh and bright and soft it looks. Amazing.

It was also my first deep tissue massage. I’ve had light pressure ones before and they just don’t do it for me – well, they are relaxing but not tension relieving or muscle rejuvenating. The deep tissue one was magical. The massage therapist worked wonders, especially on my shoulders and upper back, and my calf muscles and feet. It sounds crazy but my lower legs/feet have been so tired lately, and this massage made a world of difference. And while it was uncomfortable at times (aaaaalmost painful but not quite), I actually felt the tension and tiredness melting away. Ahhh. Anyway, here’s an after shot:


All smiles 🙂

Then, it was time for the main event: Lisa’s baby shower!


We spent a few hours chatting, snacking, drinking (the BEST mimosas) – and celebrating the mom- and dad-to-be. They are going to be excellent parents, and I can’t wait to meet the little guy! Another perk was catching up with cool friends of Lisa’s I met through her, but hadn’t seen since her wedding 4ish years ago.


Lisa’s sister and a friend did an incredible job decorating, nailing the little details. We decorated onesie and colored different superheroes for the guest book, sat at tables with perfect Dr. Who table runners, and toasted the expectant parents surrounded by subtle, classy touches.

YCongrats, friends!

After the official shower wrapped up, a few of us headed to the future parents’ place to hang out a little while longer. We ordered pizza, drank some more, chatted some more and played a game. It was a fun, relaxing, entertaining evening.

Sunday morning I slept in a little again and, after another mediocre hotel breakfast, headed to the airport. Thankfully, my return travels went MUCH smoother and I was home with my crew shortly after noon.

Aaaaaand I slipped right back into mom mode 🙂 Vera went down for a nap shortly after my arrival, so I unpacked, cleaned the house, showered and did laundry. Once she was up, we played outside a few times, inside a lot and had dinner (chicken sausage and both regular and sweet potato fries). Then it was bath time, playtime and bedtime –> a typical night around here.


Needless to say: I’m SO glad I was able to be part of Lisa’s baby celebration, and that I was able to squeeze in a little me-time. But I missed my kiddo and my guy like CRAZY and I am SO glad to be home 🙂

Hope you all had a great weekend.


2 Comments Add yours

  1. Your Parks & Rec hashtag gives me life!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s