Vera slept over my parents’ house Sunday night, so my Monday morning was wide open. I had planned to do some productive things….like run, write, maybe have a fancy breakfast.
It turns out, the way I like to spend my time when Vera is not around is….sleeping in (I mean only until 6:15 but still), laying in bed reading and then reading some more over a simple breakfast and coffee.
Finally around 8 am (I had to be at work at 8:30), I decided to take a shower and get moving (I was on time – the benefits of being low maintenance and having a short commute :).
Maybe my body just needed the extra rest but I think part of it is that I have no trouble finding time to workout now….it’s the time to lay around and do nothing that is in short supply.
So I took advantage, and you know? It was good for my health and brain.
AND this morning? I was full of energy at the gym and got in a great workout that featured cardio bursts and strength….one of my favorite combos.
Cardio + strength workout
Here’s links more info about the moves in the strength circuit:
- 10 kettlebell swings – Guide and demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdezTMulJ-k
- 10 bent over two-dumbbell rows – Guide and demo: https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/bent-over-two-dumbbell-row
- 10 overheard presses – Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, a dumbell in each hand. Bring dumbbells up to even with your shoulder. Press both dumbbells at the same time up to extend your arms. Bring them back down to shoulder position. That’s one rep.
- 10 bicep curls – Explanation: https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/photo-gallery/37016988/image/37038366/Bicep-Curl
- 10 donkey kicks, left – Get into a table top position (hands and knees). Kick your left leg back and up, lower back down. That’s one rep.
- 10 donkey kicks, right – Same as above, just switch legs 🙂
- 30-second plank – Get into a push-up position, arms either extended or come down to your forearms (I prefer forearms). Hold, keeping your hips tucked.
- 20 alternating bodyweight deadlift with a rotation – Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, slight bend in your knees, hands behind your head. With your back straight, bend forward to a 90-degree angle. Stand back up straight and gently turn toward one side. That’s one rep. Continue, altnerating with direction you face each time.
That’s all from me for today!